Unless you want to collect taxes at your next fundraising gala, please take 3 minutes now to support House Bill 1808.
The nonprofit and library fundraising exemption is set to expire this summer. It provides a tax exemption for nonprofit donors who either purchase or win items from nonprofit fundraising events. This exemption is vital for two reasons:
- It encourages donors to bid generously at fundraising auctions and participate in raffles without the dampening effect of knowing that a sales or use tax will be placed on their contribution.
- It avoids the administrative burden to nonprofits having to collect and administer taxes at their fundraisers. Many nonprofits are very small and led by volunteers.
House Bill 1808 will make the Nonprofit and Library Fundraiser Tax Exemption permanent.
We need to be sure that our state representatives know we care about this legislation—we can’t have this tax exemption lapse this summer! Let’s all let them know that this bill is important so it gets a House vote and moves on to the Senate before the cut off.
Take Action Now!
- Visit the House Bill 1808 page by clicking here.
- Click on the “Comment on this bill” box to the right of the “Bill Status at a glance” box.
- Enter your address information and click “Verify District”
- Select your two Representatives members as the recipients and select the “Support” position.
- Edit and submit the template message below.
I [work for/serve on the board of/support] [nonprofit] and I am writing to encourage you to support HB 1808, Making the nonprofit and library fundraising exemption permanent. Our organization depends on community fundraising and will be hurt if we return to taxing auction items and raffle prizes.
Please support HB 1808 and encourage your colleagues to put the bill to a full House vote.
Thank you for your participation in this action alert. If you have any questions about this issue, please feel free to contact us.