GiveBIG is now statewide and offers peer-to-peer campaigns (Register by March 29)
GiveBig, a giving day campaign started by the Seattle Foundation has raised $113 million for 2000 King County nonprofits since 2011. This year the campaign is being run by our partner 501 Commons, and they have broadened the eligibility for participation.
Any tax-exempt organization (approved by the IRS) with a headquarters or a service location in Washington State can raise money through GiveBIG2019. This includes global organizations headquartered in Washington State but providing services outside of the US. Also, tax-exempt organizations that are not 501c3 charitable organizations can participate, but must indicate on their profile that donations to the organization are not tax-deductible.
Why Giving Days Work
Giving days like GiveBIG are growing across the country. By having one day designated as the giving day (with a scheduled giving period for a couple weeks before for people who don’t want to forget on the big day) community spirit and enthusiasm can be generated by emails and social media posts from nonprofits and their supporters, by on-air radio hosts and television personalities and ads, and by companies encouraging their employees to give.
This year GiveBIG has many new features for returning organizations. If you have not participated before, we encourage you to consider registering and using our free fundraising trainings and tools to get up to speed. One of the great things about GiveBIG is that organizations of all sizes can be successful if they do a good job of getting the word out and reaching new donors as well as current supporters.
What’s New About GiveBIG 2019
- Fundraising Assistance and Training Programs: 501 Commons, as the new home for GiveBIG, has created a lot of programs and resources that are free to those that register. If you are outside of the Seattle area you can benefit from the March 28: Creating Your Next Level GiveBIG Campaign webinar with the Ostara Group. You can also sign up for a free subscription to Fundraising Accelerator, which will guide you through the development of your GiveBIG campaign. Organizations based in immigrant and refugee communities can take advance of the free fundraising and communications consulting services 501 Commons is offering. (Contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- $500,000 Media Campaign bringing new donors: 501 Commons’ GiveBIG media partner, Encore Media Group, has put together $500,000+ in media—most if it donated—to encourage people to participate on May 8th. The media market covered by King/Kong TV and Hubbard Radio includes 17 western Washington counties and Chelan and Douglas counties.
- Peer-to-Peer Fundraising: Now your board, volunteers, and donors can personally champion your cause by setting up a personal fundraising page and sending email and social media posts encouraging their friends, family, and colleagues to help them meet their campaign goal.
- Companies Rally their Employees: companies around the area will be encouraging their employees to give on company campaign pages, and in some cases providing matching funds.
Time is short!
Your organization must fully complete registration by Wednesday, March 29. Register Now!
- March 21: Session 1 – Creating Your Next Level GiveBIG Campaign, with the Ostara Group
- March 22: Give BIG Q&A Webinar – Demonstration of Peer to Peer, tips on registration, and Q&A on making the most out of your giving day
- March 26: Session 2 – The Essentials of GiveBIG Success, with the Ostara Group
- March 28: Session 2 – Creating Your Next Level GiveBIG Campaign, with the Ostara Group (webinar)
- March 29: Registration deadline for all new and returning nonprofits.
If you have questions, contact the GiveBIG customer service team by email: GiveBIG@501commons.org or call: +1 (833) 962-3615